there’s nothing like nuggets and boobies!Posted: July 21, 2011
Now that I’ve caught your attention! :)
After being sentenced to the kitchen for committing a half-week long pizza binge, I paid my dues. Can I just say that confessing really helps heal the soul and the waistline!
From my last entry, I featured my list of this week’s yums. And one of those yums just so happens to be Crispy Chicken Skewers. True fact about me: I love anything attached to a stick from corn dogs, to chicken satay, any kind of meat kebab, popsicles, and the list can go on. It makes food a lot more fun to eat, don’t you think? Another plus is that it’s baked and not drowned in frying oil. What a great healthier alternative for my chicken nugget cravings!
This recipe from How Sweet it Is is amazing! It’s incredibly easy (which of course, you know I’ll love) and takes less than half an hour to bake in the oven. At first bite, it was LOVE! I’ve tried a few baked panko crusted chicken recipes before, and they always turned out a bit too dry for my liking. Even when I tried frying it in oil, the chicken still lacked moisture but it had really good crunch! With this recipe there were no complaints! Every piece of chicken on those skewers were moist, flavorful, and had just the right level of crunch! And did I mention that they were soooo succulent and…okay okay, I’ll stop babbling about my obsessive compulsive need to eat moist chicken now!
Can you guess how many she cooked, and how many he ate? Stay tuned because the answers will be revealed at the end.
Let’s get started! Here’s what you’ll need:
Now that you have all your ingredients ready. Clean the chicken boobies (I’m infamous for calling my chicken breast “chicken boobies”, doesn’t everyone?) and pat dry. Then chop ‘dem boobies (alright already, I’ll be serious now) into cubes and season with Lawry’s, salt/pepper. I’m a bit heavy-handed with my pepper but go easy on the salt and Lawry’s.
In a bowl, crack the eggs and beat lightly with a fork to make the egg mixture. Using another bowl, mix the panko, flour, Lawry’s, salt/pepper for the panko mixture.
Now construct your assembly line! 3 easy steps: dip, coat, skewer.
Bake in the oven at 450° for 12 minutes. Flip and bake for another 12 minutes.
Less than 30 minutes later…
Serve with BBQ sauce or your favorite condiment.
ANSWER: She cooks 8, He eats 5. How many can you eat? I bet you can’t eat just one! :)
Please take my poll and let me know if you think this dish deserved its spot on this week’s List of Yums!
Crispy Chicken Skewers (adapted from How Sweet it Is)
- 2 large boneless, skinless chicken breast (cut into cubes)
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups of panko breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup of flour
- 1/2 tablespoon of Lawry’s Seasoned Salt
- salt/pepper to taste
- wooden skewers
- Preheat oven to 450°. Soak the wooden skewers in water for at least 15 minutes before use.
- Cut the chicken into cubes and tenderize if desired. Season with salt, pepper, and a dash of Lawry’s seasoning.
- In a bowl, crack the eggs and lightly beat with a fork.
- In another bowl, mix panko, flour, 1/2 tablespoon of Lawry’s seasoning (or more for taste), salt, and pepper.
- Dip each piece in the eggs, then in the panko mixture. Skewer, and repeat with the remaining chicken pieces, and lay on a wire rack. I was able to skewer 4-5 pieces of chicken on each wooden skewer (depending on size).
- Spray with non-stick cooking spray or spritz with olive oil.
- Bake for 12 minutes, flip over, and bake for another 12 more minutes. Serve with BBQ sauce or your desired choice of condiment.
© 2011 – shecooksandheeats.wordpress.com